This weeks readings:
Hayden, G. E., Upshaw, J. E., Bailey, S., & Park, D. B. (2015). Ultrasound-Guided Diagnosis of Femoral Osteomyelitis and Abscess. Pediatric Emergency Care, 31(9), 670–673. [Attached]
- How does the presence or absence of an effusion affect the likely diagnosis of a septic joint?
- If the subperiosteal collection was absent (which can be the case in osteomyelitis), how do you think POCUS would have affected this case?
Dinh, V. A., Dukes, W. S., Prigge, J., & Avila, M. (2015). Ultrasound Integration in Undergraduate Medical Education: Comparison of Ultrasound Proficiency Between Trained and Untrained Medical Students. Journal of Ultrasound in Medicine : Official Journal of the American Institute of Ultrasound in Medicine. [Attached]
- The year 3 and year 4 medical students were asked to participate voluntarily. How does this impact the results of this study?
- What do you think of the goal of the study?
- Does this make for meaningful medical educationresearch?
- What do you think of the conclusions they make?
- Do they prove the “importance of implementing this skill early on during a student’s medical education”?