This weeks readings:
AlEassa et al. Point of care ultrasonography use and training among trauma providers across Canada. Can J Surg, 2015
- What surprised you about the training experience of surgeons vs. ER physicians?
- More ER physicians are certified however than surgeons. Why might there be a difference between training and certification?
- How can we reconcile training differences and certification?
- Do we need certification?
- Come up with your idea of the best and most feasible way for certification?
- Which is better? self tracking of accuracy or hospital wide QA?
Sanders et al. Access to and Use of Point-of-Care Ultrasound in the Emergency Department. West J Emerg Med. 2015;16(5):747-752.
- Small ED Directors prefer mail over email contact? what assumption would you make on their uptake of POCUS technology?
- Do you think the same barriers exist in Canada? in PEM?
- How can we overcome the biggest barriers- limited training, expense, limited need?
- Only 12% of EPs used PoC US ≥80% of the time to place central venous lines. What concerns you about this finding?
- What surprised you about the usage statistics?
Berant et al. Emergency Point-of-Care Ultrasound Assessment of Whiteout Lung in the Pediatric Emergency Department. Pediatr Emer Care 2015;31: 872–875
- Does this case series change how you might practice?
- What is the next step in research?